Summer vacation is officially here!
It is time to keep the kids busy and active while making memories at the same time.
We came up with 100 ideas to make the perfect summer bucket list for New Orleans Kids– including day trips, water activities, free and cheap activities, and much more!
Sponsored by Academy of the Sacred Heart
- Pick Blueberries at Ride More Berry Farm in Covington.
- Take a tour of Abita Brewery (yes, kids are allowed) and have lunch at the Abita Brew Pub afterward.
- See how Tabasco is made with a tour of Avery Island.
- Check out the mysteries at Abita Mystery House.
- Stroll through Jackson Square and check out the local artist and performers.
- Tour and learn some history at the St. Louis Cathedral.
- Let imaginations run wild at the Louisiana Children's Museum.
- Ride the Lady Bug and other rides at the Amusement Park in City Park.
- Get a hole-in-one at City Putt in City Park.
- Take a streetcar down St. Charles, followed by lunch on the patio at Superior Grill.
- Rent the bikes or canoes at City Park and explore the park differently.
- Visit the French Market and check out the local artists and farmers.
- Pack a picnic and have lunch at the playground in City Park.
- Check out all the fish at the Aquarium.
- Bowl strikes at a local bowling alley – Rock N Bowl, Colonial Lanes, AMF Kenner, Westside Lanes, or Fulton Alley, to name a few.
- Have some water fun at Blue Bayou or Gulf Island Water Park.
- Take a kid-friendly walking tour of New Orleans.
- Play Disc Golf at Lafreniere Park.
- Watch a movie at the Imax at the Aquarium.
- Speed around at NOLA Motorsports.
- Explore the Sculpture Garden in City Park.
- Cool off at the Lafreniere Park Splash Pad.
- Create a scavenger hunt around the city and incorporate some history.
- Check out the art at NOMA in City Park, which is free on Wednesdays.
- Go for a boat ride in the Mississippi River on the Creole Queen.
- Create some wall art at The Shard Shop in Nola.
- Take a tour of Mardi Gras World while learning the history of Mardi Gras.
- See how it is to be in the LSU locker room with a tour of Tiger Stadium.
- Read and act out Nursery Rhymes at Storyland in City Park.
- ake in what nature has to offer on the nature walk in LaSalle Park.
- Get hands-on at the Lynn Meadows Discovery Center in Gulfport or the Louisiana Discovery Center in Hammond.
- Monkey around at the Monkey Room.
- Learn about all the different plants and take a tour of Long Vue House and Gardens.
- Visit all the libraries in the city. Many have activities daily.
- Take a hike and explore the Audubon Louisiana Nature Center.
- Play some laser tag at Laser Tag and Games of Metairie, Adventure Quest, or Area 51.
- Visit all the animals at the Audubon Zoo.
- Take a tour of the swamps on a Swamp Tour.
- Learn some history at the WW2 Museum.
- Chose a different snoball stand every week and try a different flavor each time you go.
- Be a chef and make your own pizza at the Pizza Shoppe.
- Take a bike ride and see all the beautiful oak trees in Audubon Park.
- Watch all the boats in the Mississippi River at Woldenberg Park.
- Play some sports and check out the new playground while viewing the Mississippi River at The Fly.
- Learn some history at the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum.
- Cool down and relax in the lazy river at the Cool Zoo in the Audubon Zoo.
- Discover all the birds and other animals at the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge.
- Play some games and have some lunch at Dave and Buster's.
- Explore the famous NOLA landmark and visit the museum at The New Canal Lighthouse.
- Think outside of the box while trying to escape at one of the local Escape Rooms.
- Get creative at Posh Paint Pub.
- Learn about stars, planets, and much more at the Infinity Science Center on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
- Ride some horses at the Cascade Stables.
- Rent a paddleboard and explore Bayou St. John at Bayou Paddleboards.
- Celebrate the history of jazz at the New Orleans Jazz Museum.
- Participate in Mardi Gras by visiting the Mardi Gras Museum of Costumes and Culture.
- Explore nature and play in the gardens at The Botanical Gardens in City Park.
- Play around on the indoor playground at Luv 2 Play Metairie.
- Get rid of some energy and play some sports at Big Easy Sportsplex.
- Jump high and do fun activities at Skyzone or Defy.
- Paint your own pottery at Chez Clay.
- Make some crafts and listen to storytime at the Children's Resource Center-New Orleans Public Library.
- Visit and tour the Whitney Plantation museum in Edgard, LA. Or one of the many plantations that line River Road, such as Destrehan Plantation , Laura and Oak Alley Plantation.
- Be a tourist and take a city tour on the double-decker bus at City Sightseeing New Orleans.
- Feel Brave by taking a Cemetery or Ghost Tours around the city. They have many to choose from.
- Play around and watch the streetcars go by at Palmer Park.
- Shop and let the kids play at The Riverwalk Play Area.
- Take a kayak and go on a tour at Canoe and Trail Adventures.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with some ice cream at Creole Creamery.
- Stroll around the French Quarter and check out all the famous architecture around the city.
- Eat beignets at Cafe Du Monde.
- Walk around the Garden District and explore all of the homes and gardens that are National Historic Landmarks.
- See a live jazz performance at Preservation Hall.
- Experience great views of the city on a Ferry Ride.
- Watch a movie at the Prytania Theatre.
- Go skating at Airline Skate Center.
- Get wet at the splash pad at Fontainebleau State Park in Mandeville.
- Experience the culinary side of the city at the Southern Food and Beverage Museum.
- Explore all the exhibits at the Bayou Country Children's Museum in Thibodaux.
- Be a bookworm and visit Faulkner House Books right off of Jackson Square.
- Check out all the art at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art.
- Make a wish in the fountain while looking at all of the Mississippi River ships at Spanish Plaza.
- Window Shop and grab some lunch on Magazine Street.
- Watch the Sunset and all of the sailboats in Lake Pontchartrain at the Lakefront Park.
- Take a carriage ride through the French Quarter.
- Pretend to be an astronaut at the Kenner Planetarium and Space Science Complex.
- Take a boat ride to Ship Island in Biloxi.
- Visit the site of the Battle of New Orleans at the Chalmette Battlefield.
- Play at JAMNOLA
- Go to the Farmers Markets in Old Metairie, Gretna, and New Orleans.
- Make some art at Painting with a Twist. Check out the calendar to see when they offer kids walk-in classes.
- Watch a play at Rivertown Theatre.
- Catch some fish in Lake Pontchartrain.
- Go on a hike at Couturie Forest in City Park.
- Learn Louisiana history at the Rural Life Museum.
- Take a road trip to Pensacola to watch the Blue Angels Practice.
- Spend the day at White Sands Day Lake Beach.
- Summer Road Trips are fun! Plan one to one of these 20 awesome locations.
- Go camping and make s' mores over a campfire at one of these great campgrounds in Southeast Louisiana.
- Have brunch with the family at a different New Orleans Brunch spot each week.
- Learn about animals, growing your own vegetables, and farming at Sugar Roots Farm and Grow Dat Farm.
- Spend some time helping others by volunteering this summer.
- Go on a zipline adventure at Gulfport Zip and Fun
Have a great summer! Tell us what's first on your New Orleans Summer Bucket List?
About the Academy of Scared Heart Summer Camp
ocated In Uptown New Orleans; Ph: 504.269.1230
WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM
Come Camp with the Krewe at Sacred Heart!
Your camper(s) will enjoy a wide variety of festive and fun summer activities and enrichment opportunities every day. Visual and performing arts, sports, water fun, music, cheer, competitive games, yoga, fitness and lots more … campers will have a ball.
All programs are directed by experienced, qualified, and dedicated faculty and staff. Lunch is included in the tuition, and after-care is available for all camps.
Camp Dates: June 14–July 30, 2021 Camp Ages: Girls & Boys ages 1–13
Camp Cost: $280-315 per week (depending camp choice) P
They all sound like fun! A lot of choices to choice from!
Absolutely love these ideas for the summer! Perfect for the whole family!
Fantastic Article. Love the name “pint sized NOLA”